• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

YU-NO remake (MAGES. / 5pb.) announced for PS4/PSV.

Dio

Banned
This remake is old news, but we didn't know what platform it was on.

YU-NO is a revered classic, and deserves to get a remake (let's hope it's not a bad one, though.)

Bebpo

Banned
Woah, pretty crazy seeing a Sega Saturn game getting remade 16 years later.

Heard good things about this back in the day.

Requeim

Doubtful that we will ever have the chance to play this in english, but i can't wait to hear the soundtrack.

Dio

Banned
5VUHFEI.jpg

New designs.

sensui-tomo

Designs looks like shit compared to the original (which basically was basic anime back then).. Hope the OST stays the same.

duckroll

I wonder how much they're going to change considering the creator has passed away and they seem to want to modernize the game for a new audience. There's quite a bit of iffy taboo content story-wise, but that aside, I hope they don't do what C's Ware did with Desire, adding a super happy "good ending" to the story which defeats the purpose of the scenario's message to begin with.

sensui-tomo

I wonder how much they're going to change considering the creator has passed away and they seem to want to modernize the game for a new audience. There's quite a bit of iffy taboo content story-wise, but that aside, I hope they don't do what C's Ware did with Desire, adding a super happy "good ending" to the story which defeats the purpose of the scenario's message to begin with.

yeah one route in particular is gonna be fun to see how they change it up
That step mom route... i never finished the game, backlog got huge

Jazz573

Too bad it will probably never get an English version. I might still pick it up anyways. Probably Vita version.

duckroll, I just wanted to ask you, I know Eve was poorly translated, so how's Desire in English?

Holy shit, I have the original Saturn game. Bought an import bundle on eBay years ago and this was included.

Don't think I ever played it either. xD

duckroll

duckroll, I just wanted to ask you, I know Eve was poorly translated, so how's Desire in English?

Can't really say for certain since I played these games so many years ago, but I recall that the English versions of Desire and Eve Burst Error both had the same translation tone and it was very liberal and somewhat offputting sometimes.

Jazz573

Can't really say for certain since I played these games so many years ago, but I recall that the English versions of Desire and Eve Burst Error both had the same translation tone and it was very liberal and somewhat offputting sometimes.

Is it still good enough that it would be at least somewhat enjoyable?

Great art, but that first character looks straight like one of the Ar Tonelico characters I just forgot the name. Protagonist of one of the games.

Same artist.

duckroll

Is it still good enough that it would be at least somewhat enjoyable?

If you can survive Eve Burst Error, you can probably survive Desire. The new ending they added for it in the Complete Edition is a huge slap in the face of the intent of the original story though.

Jazz573

Visual Novels have been a thing since the PC-98 days? god damn.............

Yes. The earliest VNs in VNDB are from 1983. The term "Visual Novel" was coined by eroge dev Leaf, in 1996 with their Leaf Visual Novel Series. In Japan the term Adventure game is usually used. VN refers to something very specific in Japan, but I'm not sure how they define VNs differently.

As for the PC-98, VNs probably make up a large portion of the library. There's quite a few RPGs, but many of those also are VNs.

Guymelef

Today I have remembered why didn't play YU-NO in the past.
Anybody had this problem with text being cut on the right side?
X86ltwP.png

ranmafan

Glad to see more info finally being revealed. Looking forward to this remake I really need to play through my Saturn copy sometime. Always meant to get to it but never did.

Moronwind

Banned
New designs.

I think I'm gonna prefer the look of the old game. Visual novels in general tend to have pretty poor art (and YU-NO is no exception), but the really old ones that came out before the advent of high color displays had that high res pixel art which almost made up for it.

If you can survive Eve Burst Error, you can probably survive Desire. The new ending they added for it in the Complete Edition is a huge slap in the face of the intent of the original story though.

Shameful confession : I played Desire 10 years ago... and I liked the new ending back then.

The game was such an emotional downward spiral, starting with the straightfoward Al route, the... urgh Makoto route, and the last... route pretty much just leaves you completely drained and emotionally wrecked by the end of the game, that I liked the vague-trippy happy ending of it.

Looking back, it was a huge cop-out that was a disservice to the plot of Desire, but I definitely remember smiling at that new ending.

Top Bottom